Monday, February 26, 2018

Beauty and Tranquility /// Music Monday #18

Iiiit's Muuuusic Moooonday! And I have a picture to prove it.


And today, we will be listening to . . .

"Atonement" from Journey
Composed by Austin Wintory


Now, if you have never heard of Journey before, it's a short indie game where you are simply a robed person who must reach the summit of a mountain. There is no dialogue; you piece the story together via cutscenes and what you learn from the gameplay. You may or may not meet up with a fellow player to travel with. It's very different from a lot of video games out there.

One of the most important aspects of the game is its score. The music changes as you interact with objects in the game, as if it was being recorded just for you. There was even a concert tour once where people got to play the game while the orchestra performed the music live.

This song is one of my favorites from the game. In fact, the whole album is so awesome and relaxing. Whenever I take a nap (which really isn't all that often), the Journey soundtrack is one of the first that I pull out. I've fallen asleep to it numerous times. It's easy to see how it was nominated for Grammy Aware for Best Score Soundtrack for Visual Media.

What's also cool about it is that the track titles, and therefore the game, reference the hero's journey. I think the game is probably very symbolic and open to interpretation. I really wish I could play it, but unfortunately, it's only available for the PS3. So if you happen to have one, you might want to check this game out.

Did you guys enjoy the song? Do you think this is a soundtrack you'd be interested in? Do you have any go-to music for falling asleep?

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, Journey! I've wanted to try that game for a while now. It looks so unique. And I have heard some of the music from it and agree it's absolutely gorgeous and tranquil. This piece you shared was so serene. It definitely seems like it'd be good napping music! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I wish they would release it for Steam so I could play it. It looks like it'd be an awe-inspiring experience. Austin nailed the score for the game. Trust me, it's very relaxing. XD

      Delete
  2. Wow. That is a beautiful song - it's so peaceful and quiet. *yawns* Interested in the soundtrack? I just went and listened to the entire thing on Spotify! So yes. :D

    I almost never use music for falling asleep. It distracts me too much, and I end up staying awake to listen to the music. :D But, if I did, I'd definitely use this soundtrack.

    Brianna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's incredible just how at ease the song--well, the whole soundtrack--can make me. That's awesome! I'd love to sometime just sit and listen to the album, and come up with a story idea just based on the music. :)

      I only use it for naps. I can see how that'd be the case. It works really well! :D

      Delete