Saturday, October 07, 2017

Monthly HapPENings: September

Guys, where in the world did September go? I blink once and it's here. I blink twice and it's gone. It practically felt like a mirage. If someone stole my September, I demand that they confess to their crime and give it back!

. . . Yes, I'm in a weird mood. Don't mind me. Once again, it's time to sum up the last month of my life, and once again, I haven't made a special banner/picture/thingy for this series. You know what that means? STOCK PHOTO TIME!

source

That'll do. Now, let's see what happened this month . . . For starters, at the beginning of September (as in, the 1st), I was transferred to a different department at work. It's been much better than the other part of the factory I worked in. The guys are much better to work with, and I love being able to joke around with them. I tell a lot of dad jokes, so it's always fun to see their reactions.

Then during the last week, I had to help out in a third department, which had a more laidback and relaxed pace to it. It was a nice change, and I worked a lot with a really cool guy there. We had some great conversations, so I'm very glad I got to meet him.

To be honest, I didn't really do much more than work this month. Seriously. If I wasn't working, I was either relaxing or helping out at home. I have done nothing interesting. Sad, I know, but true.

Oh! I did get my first cell phone on the 29th. It's an iPhone 7, which I've really enjoyed having. And it takes very crisp, clear photos, something I'll be demonstrating in next week's post. #Foreshadowing

So yeah, one might say that my month was boring. I would disagree by saying that it was simply void of anything spectacular or remarkable for the most part. Which means this post will probably be a bit shorter.

Bookish HapPENings

Ahem. This is awkward. It seems that September is a stark contrast from August in this regard, because I have finished *cough cough* zero books. Yes, it's a shame. I've been reading the same book all month due to the fact that I only read on the drive to and from church. Books have not been given any other timeslot during the rest of my week.

I'm hoping October will be a different story (pun intended, of course). I guess you'll find out in a few weeks. Man, saying it like that makes the month feel even shorter. *shudders*

HapPENings on the Screen


source

I thoroughly enjoyed the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie, and I had high hopes for Vol. 2. While I laughed a lot and enjoyed the character interaction, along with the intense fight scenes, it wasn't quite as good as the first. There were a few more sexual jokes in this one, which contributes to that feeling. But I just felt like the plot was not as tight as the first movie's was. Ronan was a great villain, and for some reason, I liked having the villain established sooner. Plus, the score reused a good deal of stuff from the first soundtrack. Now, don't get me wrong. I have no real problem with this. I just wish there had been a little more memorable new content music-wise. Aside from that, the movie was very good, and I definitely will be adding it to my Marvel movie collection. I can't even talk about one of my favorite scenes because of its spoilery nature, but suffice it to say that someone's reaction to something was perfectly spot-on.

source

Chloe and Kaitlyn loved the first Pirates movie so much that they wanted to watch the second soon after. I remember thinking that Dead Man's Chest was my least favorite in the series, but that's because I had a hard time following the plot and character motivations. Trust me when I say that this franchise is one that has to be watched a couple of times to be fully understood, which makes it even more appealing to me. Plus, there was a boatload (yep, more puns) of laughs and epic action, so what more could you ask for? Don't answer that, all you smart alecks who like responding to rhetorical questions.

source

My sisters and I watched this together, as it was Kaitlyn's first time seeing it. Ack, the cringe! This trilogy is so bad, but not to the point where it's good. It hovers in-between. The CGI was bad, Mary Jane was annoying, all the high school students look like they belong in a college, Tobey Maguire's crying face is hideous, Norman Osbourne does a poorly acted Gollum conversation (or Golluming, as I called it) . . . the list goes on. Watch this movie only to make fun of it, which I brutally did through my commentary.

source

I finally finished season 2 of Once Upon a Time and have started season 3! Season 2 had a great finale, and the third season definitely starts with a bang. I'm really digging the Neverland aspect of it, because much of the show has taken place in Storybrooke. It's nice to get a change of scene. (Yes, I know they did that in the second season, but there were still major characters in Storybrooke that got attention.) Peter Pan is an interesting villain; I haven't fully formed my thoughts on him, so I'll let you know when I do. And judging by this poster, there are Wizard of Oz elements that come in later, so that should be fun as well.

source

YAS, IT'S HERE, IT'S FINALLY HERE! After waiting for a few months, I have finally been able to start season 3 of The Flash. And man, is it ever good! It's taken a big turn from what I thought this season was going to look like, so I'm happy it's keeping me on my toes. I've been really enjoying it so far, and I can't wait for the main villain to show up on screen. (The main villains always look sinisterly cool in this show.) Also, it seems as though the cinematography has been ratcheted up a notch. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it just seems better. Blame my year in media class during college for noticing something like that. All in all, I'm pumped to see where the storyline goes, because I have a feeling that things are going to get really bad.

Writerly HapPENings

This is another awkward category. I mean, I did better than in August. I, uh, wrote once. Yeah, that's pretty bad. But wait until you hear my word count.

32 words.

What? You didn't catch that? I said:

32 words.

You still didn't hear me? Fine. I said that I wrote a whopping 32 words.

Shame! Heartache! "How can you ever hope to finish your Snow White story at this rate?" you ask. "What a valid question!" I reply. "I have no blazing idea!"

*sigh* I need to start writing more, and faster, if I hope to enter the contest. Wish me luck!

Yeah, I'm done with my ramble! Was your month similar to mine, or was it more exciting? Tell me about some of your highlights!

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you on Guardians Vol. 2. Though it was still enjoyable and I liked how it moved the story along nicely, it definitely seemed cruder than the first movie. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would've been nice if they had kept it a bit cleaner. Oh well. :P I'm looking forward to the Guardians' interactions with the Avengers. Things should get interesting. XD

      Delete